Common Core English Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.R.2: Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
Programming Interface: Photon Draw / Photon Blocks / Photon Code / Scratch 3.0 / MakeCode / Python.
- The teacher will pre-teach theme concepts.
- The teacher will choose texts appropriate to grade level and genre (fiction or nonfiction).
- The teacher will choose a familiar and accessible model text for the entire group.
- The teacher will pre-teach how to provide a summary of a text.
- Students work with the teacher to learn about theme and summary with a model text.
- Break students into groups.
- Each group member should read the text independently and write down the theme and key information for the summary.
- The groups should come together with one Photon robot and device for coding per group.
- Each group should program Photon to summarize the story.
This should include programming Photon to:
- Explain the setting.
- Introduce key characters.
- Demonstrate the plot of the story.
- Provide a summary of the text.
- Point out the theme of the story.
- Bring the class back together. Have each group run their program to share with the class. Give the group a chance to share why they chose the elements in their program.
- The teacher should offer suggestions for any needed adjustments to their program.
- Continue until all groups have shared their program.