Common Core Math Standards:
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.MD.D.8: Solve real world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons, including finding the perimeter given the side lengths, finding an unknown side length, and exhibiting rectangles with the same perimeter and different areas or with the same area and different perimeters.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.MD.A.3: Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real world and mathematical problems. For example, find the width of a rectangular room given the area of the flooring and the length, by viewing the area formula as a multiplication equation with an unknown factor.
Programming Interface: Photon Draw, Photon Blocks or Scratch via the Photon EDU App or the Photon Magic Bridge.
- The teacher will use painter’s tape to create shapes on the floor that students will use to measure perimeter. Label each one so students can rotate to them. Use a ruler to measure them. Determine whether it will be measured in centimeters or inches.
- The teacher may also look for shapes on the classroom floor or shapes on the school campus that could be used for Photon to measure.
- The teacher will instruct the students about perimeter.
- Break the students into groups of two - three students.
- Make sure students know how to switch between cm and inches in the app so Photon will be measuring using the correct system.
- Have each group get a Photon and coding device and go to the shape where they are assigned to start.
- For each shape:
- Each group should use Photon to measure each side of their shape.
- They should write down their measurement for each side.
- They should compute the perimeter once they each have side measured.
- The teacher will direct each group when it is time to rotate to another shape and which direction they should move.
- The groups will continue in this manner until they have been to each shape.
- When all the shapes have been measured by each group, the class should come back together.
- The teacher should ask for a group to share their answer for each shape.
- Correct any misunderstandings.